CONOWINGO — Investigators are blaming an electrical malfunction for triggering a blaze that damaged a Conowingo home and sent one of its occupants to a regional hospital with burns, according to the Maryland Office of the State Fire Marshal.
The occupant called 911 at approximately 1:45 a.m. Thursday after discovering fire inside his residence in the 300 block of Red Hill Road, fire officials said. The caller suffered burns to his hands while unsuccessfully trying to extinguish the blaze, before he escaped from the house and firefighters arrived, fire officials added.
Sr. Deputy State Fire Marshal Oliver J. Alkire, an agency detective and spokesman, reported that the man who suffered burns initially refused medical treatment at the scene.
An ambulance crew later took him to the Bayview Burn Center in Baltimore, however, after Sr. Deputy State Fire Marshal Michael Selvage observed the man’s wounds and requested that paramedics return to the scene, according to Alkire. Selvage saw the man’s burns while conducting his on-scene investigation, he noted.
Approximately 25 firefighters with area volunteer fire companies battled the blaze for about 15 minutes, before bringing it under control, fire officials said. Water Witch Volunteer Fire Co. of Port Deposit served as the on-scene command unit, fire officials added.
The blaze caused an estimated $25,000 in damage to the two-story home, according to Alkire, who further reported that the residents are still able to live there.
MOSFM detectives determined that the blaze started in a ceiling and concluded that an electrical failure is “the most probable cause” of the fire, he reported.