North East fire

A duplex caught on fire after a couple had attempted to deep fry a chicken inside. One resident tried to take the flaming pot outside, but tripped and dropped it in the living room.

NORTH EAST — Firefighters quickly extinguished a house fire Saturday that sparked when a couple’s dinner plans went awry, according to the Maryland Office of the State Fire Marshal.

A couple was attempting to deep fry a chicken in a duplex on 100 block of Jethro Street around 3:37 p.m. Saturday. As they placed the whole bird into the pot, the grease caught on fire, investigators said.

One resident was attempting to take the flaming pot from the stove and outside, traveling through the living room. But he tripped in the living room, dropping the flaming chicken and setting the room on fire, investigators said.

“He was trying to do the right thing, take it outside so it can be extinguished,” Sr. Deputy State Fire Marshal Oliver J. Alkire told the Whig. “But we encourage people to deep-fry chicken outdoors with proper equipment, and to make sure it’s defrosted and dry first.”

Within 20 minutes, firefighters from North East Fire Company arrived and doused the flames. Charlestown Fire Company, the Community Fire Company of Rising Sun, Singerly Fire Company, and Perryville Fire Company also were on scene and offered assistance.

The fire caused approximately $20,000 in damages, with $15,000 to the duplex.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.