Today in Maryland

4 Maryland medical board leaders resign amid scandal

ANNAPOLIS (AP) — Four top executives of the University of Maryland Medical System's board have resigned amid the continuing investigation into board financial arrangements that led Baltimore's previous mayor to resign.

The Baltimore Sun reports the resignations announced Thursday include chief administrative officer Jerry Wollman, chief compliance officer Christine Bachrach, chief performance improvement officer Keith Persinger and the system's primary lawyer, Megan Arthur. The changes are effective June 21.

Former Mayor Catherine Pugh was a former board member who left her mayoral post last month amid investigations into whether she sold self-published books to the system to disguise hundreds of thousands of dollars in kickbacks. Three other members resigned last month, including former board chairman Stephen Burch.

The Sun says the four workers this month weren't immediately reached for comment.

Information from: The Baltimore Sun,

Man sentenced in plot to steal drugs from military hospitals

GREENBELT (AP) — A Maryland man has been sentenced to more than five years in prison for plotting to steal and resell millions of dollars in prescription drugs from federal military hospitals.

U.S. District Judge Paul Grimm also on Thursday ordered 45-year-old Daniel Mark Wilkerson, of Fort Washington, Maryland, to pay more than $4.4 million in restitution. Wilkerson will be on supervised release for five years after his 66-month prison sentence.

U.S. Attorney Robert Hur's office says in a news release that Wilkerson conspired with two pharmacy technicians to steal more than $2.1 million worth of human growth hormone from the now-closed Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington. Prosecutors say Wilkerson and one of the technicians also stole more than $850,000 worth of pharmaceuticals from Fort Belvoir Community Hospital in Virginia.

Police: Baltimore officer wrongfully chased, arrested critic

BALTIMORE (AP) — Authorities say a 24-year Baltimore police veteran wrongfully chased down and arrested a man who criticized the officer's behavior.

The Baltimore Sun reports 49-year-old Sgt. Ethan Newberg has been charged with assault, false imprisonment and misconduct. The newspaper quotes police Commissioner Michael Harrison as saying that body camera video disproved Newberg's account of the arrest.

Video shows the officer making an arrest when a bystander approaches and tells Newberg he shouldn't have placed the suspect on the wet ground.

Harrison says the bystander then calmly walks away but is chased down by Newberg and a second officer, who tackles and handcuffs the man. Newberg said the bystander was "combative and aggressive."

Newberg was paid $243,000 last fiscal year, making him the second highest-paid city employee. He's been suspended without pay.

Information from: The Baltimore Sun,

Virginia calls for release of Metro ethics investigation

WASHINGTON (AP) — Virginia is asking Washington, D.C., transit officials to release the findings of a recent ethics investigation into their board chairman.

News outlets report the Northern Virginia Transportation Commission unanimously voted Thursday to push for the release of the investigation's findings.

The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority board finished its inquiry last month into board chairman Jack Evans, whose relationship with private legal and consulting clients is under federal investigation.

Email records show Evans pitched himself to area lobbyists, saying they should hire him because of his influence as board chair and Washington, D.C.'s longest serving lawmaker. The board declined to release the results. Evans is not running for reelection as chair. Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan has called for his resignation.

Maryland police officer shot in 2003 dies of wounds

ROCKVILLE (AP) — Officials say the death of a Maryland police officer who was shot during a 2003 traffic stop and left paralyzed below the chest was a homicide.

A statement from Montgomery County Police on Thursday said they were notified of the ruling in the death of Kyle Olinger by the state of Arizona. Olinger died on April 18. The department couldn't be reached Thursday evening for additional details.

On Aug. 13, 2003, Olinger was on patrol in downtown Silver Spring when he stopped a car with three people inside. During that stop, one of the suspects shot Olinger in the neck.

Olinger's assailant is serving life in prison plus 20 years. At the time of Olinger's death, prosecutors were working to determine whether new charges would be filed in the case.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.