ELKTON — A malfunctioning bathroom fan caused smoke to pour into a hallway at a residential health care center in Elkton on Thursday night, prompting area volunteer fire companies to respond and ventilate the place, according to fire officials.

No one was injured during the incident at the Laurelwood Healthcare Center at 100 Laurel Dr., which is off South Bridge Street (Route 213), fire officials reported.

Staff evacuated residents from the B Wing, where the smoke was, and relocated them to another section of the building, according to Deputy Chief Michele Ewing of Singerly Volunteer Fire Company (SVFC), who noted that everyone was able to remain inside the building.

SVFC and other area volunteer fire companies responded to Laurelwood at approximately 6 p.m. on Thursday for a smoke alarm, which was upgraded to a building fire a short time later, Ewing said. There was no fire, as it turned out, but there was smoke, she added.

“We isolated it (the smoke) to a fan in a bathroom,” Ewing said.

Approximately 25 volunteer firefighters ventilated the effected part of the building, bringing the situation under control in about 10 minutes, she reported.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.