• April 28, 2015

Ask the Historical Society: Elk Ferry - Cecil Daily: Our Cecil

Ask the Historical Society: Elk Ferry

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 7:00 am | Updated: 1:59 am, Mon Jul 29, 2013.

Do you have any information or maps on Elk Ferry?

— Bob Stearrett

When the court moved to Court House Point, south of Chesapeake City, in 1719, a ferry across the Elk River became important. People north of the River traveled to Oldfield Point in Elk Neck to cross the waterway. John Jawwert was the first operator. After the county seat moved to Charlestown in 1782, the importance of this crossing declined. In 1865, the Cecil Whig reported that there remained on the property of Henry Piercy on the Elk Neck side, a relic of the past, the old Ferry House. The early Cecil County roads book show the ferry and the roads.

— Almanac of Cecil County History

More about

More about

Welcome to the discussion.