Police officials have released a partial list of the 27 area residents arrested last week in and around North East as part of a sweep aimed at drug suspects and people wanted on outstanding warrants.
Officers arrested nine of those people for alleged drug violations while taking 12 others into custody because of open warrants related to violations of probation, failures to appear for court and other infractions, police said.
They arrested some people because of incidents that took place while carrying out the sweep, such as attempts to hinder officers, and because of criminal activity witnessed while at the residences, police added.
The Maryland State Police Gang Unit spearheaded the four-day operation, which ran sporadically from April 9 through Thursday and involved several local agencies, including the Cecil County Sheriff’s Office, the Cecil County Drug Task Force, the North East Police Department, the Cecil County Department of Parole & Probation and MSP.
“We had mixed reasons for doing it. We had targeted some drug suspects. We also worked closely with Parole & Probation and knew there were some outstanding warrants relating to VOPs (violations of probation),” said MSP Lt. John Cook, commander of the North East Barrack.
The sweep had other aspects, as well.
“It put us out in some of the communities, so we could interact with residents and talk about their concerns,” Cook said. “We also did some surveillance.”
Because the sweep yielded such a high number of arrests, paperwork on some of the arrests still hadn’t been officially processed as of Tuesday, when police officials released a partial list of the arrests, Cook reported.
The following six people were arrested or cited and charged in the sweep, according to Cecil County District Court records:
· Dustin Allen Laney, 24, of the unit block of Birch Court near Port Deposit. Laney is charged with resisting arrest, possession of (unspecified) illegal drugs with intent to distribute, possession of illegal drugs while possessing firearms, possession of illegal drugs and possession of an unregistered rifle or shotgun. Arrested on April 9, Laney remained in the Cecil County Detention Center on Tuesday in lieu of $200,000 bond.
· Cory Michael Cregar, 22, of the unit block of Granite Drive near Port Deposit. Cregar is charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was released on personal recognizance after his April 9 arrest.
· Kyle Allan Rice, 20, of the 700 block of Bethel Church Road near North East. Rice was issued a criminal citation charging him with disturbing the peace/hindering passage.
· Lisa Nicole Gable, 20, of Forest Hill. Gable is charged with possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and two counts of possession of an (unspecified) illegal drug. She was released on personal recognizance after her April 9 arrest.
· Crystal Lee Blevins, 28, of the unit block of Westover Place. Blevins was arrested on an outstanding warrant relating to a case in which she is charged with driving with a suspended license and driving without a required license.
· Phillip Jason Mitchell, 28, of the 1000 block of W. Old Philadelphia Road near North East. Mitchell is charged with four counts of possession of an (unspecified) illegal drug with intent to distribute, six counts of possession of an (unspecified) illegal drug and one count of possession of drug paraphernalia. Mitchell remained in the Cecil County Detention Center in lieu of $150,000 bond on Tuesday after his April 11 arrest.